Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Bumps on my labia

Question
Labia
Labia  
Hello, I am 29 years old and live in western Europe. I have a new partner, who I have had sex with since about a little more than 3 months ago and (yes I know that is not what we're supposed to do) we had unsafe sex. I must say, that because of our jobs we're tested for HIV and Hepatitis on a regular basis, meaning every one or two years. (Also before me, he has been in a relationship with the same girl for 3 years and they recently had a baby, so I doubt she'd have any STDs he wouldn't know about - hopefully) - so I thought it was safe.
Now my problem is the following: The inner parts of my labia majora started itching yesterday evening after I have had diarrhea for a little more than a day, so at first I thought it was due to using a lot of toilet paper. But though the diarrhea is gone and I have been very careful rinsing my lady parts with water, even cooling occasionally, it's still itchy and won't go away. Now this is my first time having a problem like that, so I never really looked at my vagina before. But now I did, and I noticed some bumps on the said inner parts of my labia majora (which could have been there all along, cause I never looked), but now I wonder if they could be anything else, but normal.. (please see picture)
And that is pretty much my question.
If they're 'normal' I was hoping it might be a candida infection. If not, I guess I'll have some serious talking to do.. and a visit to my gynecologist. :(

Answer
Hi Sara,
You may  have a yeast infection, but this is not evident in the photograph. Yeast is NOT a sexually transmitted condition, but sometimes fungi from the colon do find their way to the vagina to cause the itching and discharge associated with yeast. Over the counter and prescriptive creams (different in different countries) are usually effective. The little bumps do look like enlarged sebaceous (oil) glands/fordyce spots, which is a normal variation.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar