Sexually Transmitted Diseases/help for OCD or genuine risk?

Question
Hi Mark,

I am a 25 year old male living in America and I suffer from OCD regarding HIV transmission. Over the past few years I have gotten myself tested for HIV many times (with always a negative result). None of the previous situations involved unprotected anal/vaginal sex or iv drug use. Most of the situations were "low risk" situations. Worrying over all these situations and getting tested has caused me a lot of stress. So I want to break the pattern and not go get tested over just any scare. Now recently a situation happened that has gotten me worried again about any possible risk for HIV transmission. I know that this might be a classic "what if" scenario. Please be patient with me and maybe talk some sense/advise into me.

This Halloween I was with a couple of friends at some bars near my apartment. I ended up drinking quite a lot and got separated from my friends. I don't usually drink that much and would definitely not do this in the future. I may have blacked out for a bit - basically I do not have any memories of what happened between 1:00 am and 4:30 am. The next thing that I remember is walking to my apartment alone at 4:30 am in the morning. All my personal belongings (cellphone/wallet) were with me and I could account for all the money (except for $10). My jeans were a bit dirty around the back pocket (maybe I had fallen somewhere) and one belt loop on my jeans was torn (I don't know how that happened).

Now I am worried that I may have been exposed to HIV during the time I was drunk and alone? Am I crazy in thinking that? Would I have remembered in the morning if I was involved in unprotected anal/vaginal sex of any kind, iv drug use or any other risk for HIV transmission? I am not trying to waste anyone's time but am genuinely concerned about this situation. Please help me with your advice. How should I deal/think about this situation?

Doug.

Answer
Hello Doug,
OCD and anxiety are best addressed by health care providers or behavioral health specialists who can consider medications or talk therapy. Are you at risk? It seems unusual that you have absolutely no recollection of anything that happened to you.  Sounds like the lesson to be learned is never to experience such helplessness in the future, and avoidance of over-drinking is a good idea. What I would do, is get periodically HIV tested every 3-6 months to ease one's sense of "could it be possible?" And of course, see, care for your anxiety disorder, which is disabling and getting you into some degree of trouble, including your "blackout."

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar