Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Herpes?

Question
scab 1
scab 1  

scab 2
scab 2  
I have HSV2 but my boyfriend does not. We always have protected sex and I occasionally take an antiviral.  Today my boyfriend noticed a scab on his penis that he thinks could be HSV2 however, he hasn't presented any of the other symptoms  I've experienced to be common with an outbreak. For example, he never had any blisters, itching, pain or discomfort. He literally noticed the scab today.  He currently has a fever but it is cold and flu season so…  I have a clear photo of the scab that doesn't point me one way or another.  Additional info: he is 48 and has other itchy skin patches on his body that flare during the winter months. The penis scab does not itch.  Thoughts?  Thank you!

Answer
Hello Dave/Holly,
Scabs are usual the end stages of a break in the skin. It does NOT look like herpes, because as you have said, it was not accompanied by the usual other predictable signs and symptoms: redness, itching, numbness, tingling, blister, and ulceration, all of which occur over a week or two. On the other hand, the other itchy skin patches may reflect a chronic but recurrent skin condition such as eczema, psoriasis, etc., and these may also appear "out of the blue" even on the skin of the penis. That seems much more likely!

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar