Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Is this Herpes or something

Question
1
1  
2
2  
QUESTION: Hi Doctor, I'm Mike from Stanton, California.
I have been having protected sex and unprotected oral sex with a girl ive been seeing for the past month. The last time we had sex was five days ago. Yesterday I felt some itching in my groin area that comes and goes. I put lotrimin ultra on it thinking it was jock itch, though it still occasionally itches. I also cut some of the pubic hairs off with scissors thinking that maybe it was itching because the hair was too long. I also noticed white bumps on my penis shaft, though im not sure how long they've been there. Do you know what they are?

ANSWER: Hi Mike,
The whitish bumps look like Fordyce spots, a normal variation in the skin, however I may not be seeing everything on the photo that you are seeing. They are essentially tiny areas of retained skin oils that look like bumps because the skin is relatively thinner there than elsewhere on your body. Nothing to worry about. If the rash persists, or anything begins to look worse, write back.

Good luck!
--mark

QUESTION: OK thank you very much Doctor, I really appreciate you taking the time.
What do you think the itching might be? And as far as the white spots shown in the picture, there was one that was a little red around the edges (you can kind of see it in picture 2.). So I popped it and it looked like puss from a pimple and now as of today it looks like the other white spots or fordyce spots. Could that have been a pimple or something?

Thanks again,
Mike

Answer
Hey Mike,
Popping pimples can drive potentially infected material deep into the skin to cause an abscess, just as well as draining externally. It is therefore not recommended! Apply moist heat to soften the skin and the underlying sebum (congealed oil) to help it dissipate. It may have been a small pimple.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar