Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Is this HSV 2

Question
Hey Doctor, I am an uncircumsized male and recently had oral sex a few weeks ago and shortly after noticed a itchy red bump on my penis. Unfortunately, I began to scratch at the bump and the surrounding head of my penis. A few days later I noticed several bumps around the head of my penis and that the initial red bump had scabbed and healed away. Initially there were no symptoms from the bumps but lately they have begun to tingle, itch and burn causing a bit of discomfort. Also I have noticed that I will on occasion get headaches, pain in my buttocks and sharp pain in my anus.  I was told from a free clinic counselor that Hsv 2 bumps or sores will come and go within the first 2-3 weeks. It has been six weeks now and the symptoms are still the same. Can you please offer some guidance as to what this might be?

Answer
Hello Devin,
Herpetic ulcerations usually develop and heal up within a 2-3 week time period. Of course they may recur, but each episode lasts no longer than that time. You didn't mention where the itchy bump was-- on the head (glans) underneath the foreskin, on the foreskin, on the shaft, etc. You didn't mention if you have any other skin conditions, or if you use any medications for any purposes, or have any contact exposure to new  cosmetics, chemicals at work, and so on.

There are lots of skin conditions that may be responsible, but more information and photos would be helpful. Scabies, folliculitis, pimples, staph infection (with or without MRSA, methicillin resistent staph aureus), eczema, psoriasis, etc.

The headaches, buttock and anal pain all seem to be related to other, unrelated things, including muscle strain, constipation, sinus infection, toothache, etc.

Visiting a health care provider is designed to sift through all this information to refine possible causes.  My guess is that you have several unrelated issues, than all can be easily addressed.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar