Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Herpes

Question
I was just tested for std's upon my request to have one done.  The result came back that I have a 2.9 Igm.  My doctor said I was recently infected HSV in the past 4-6 weeks.  Not sure though if it type 1 or 2, a retest will be done in 4 weeks.  
My question is:  How could I have come infected with that if I was not having sex during that time?  I did kiss 2 people about 5 to 7 weeks ago, though I do not recall seeing any blisters when I kissed them.  Are there any other reasons my Igm read high numbers?

Answer
Hello Christy,
I presume you had an IgM blood test for herpes type 1 and 2 (in other words, impossible to detect which herpes type you had, as they are combined tests). The test DOES NOT tell you that you were recently infected; it tells you if you had a recent outbreak-- it may have been an initial infection, or a reinfection. If an IgG test were done at the same time and was negative, then you could conclude that it was a NEW infection, not a recurrent outbreak. This would mean that your infection was new and recent. But that information is missing from the information you have provided. So we don't know whether this is an initial or an existing infection. Since initial infections usually are more clinically apparent-- more noticeable to you, I suspect that this was a recurrence.

You could have gotten this as a child or from any friend or family member shedding herpes but without a clinically apparent infection, who kissed you as a child, during rough and tumble play, a friend sharing a drink, etc. Your "cold sore" is the polite term for herpes around the mouth or nose, but this can occur with either of the herpes viruses.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar