Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Possible infection?

Question
About maybe three months ago I noticed something a bit shocking and quite confusing. A lot of swelling and burning. My inner labia and my vaginal walls swell To the point it is very noticeable to look at and impossible to insert anything bigger than a finger. The skin is so sensitive to touch it stings when I do. And I discovered a few days ago that lube making contact with the swollen flesh burns so bad it almost made me cry. I don't have to have sex or have any sort of penetration for it to do this, it does it on it's own as I become aroused. The more turned on I am the worse it is. There is nothing odd about it when I'm not aroused other than the area that wells is still a tiny bit sensitive to touch. I tried avoiding getting aroused or anything of the sort for about a week straight, maybe a bit longer, thinking maybe I'd just been too active and had made myself a bit raw. Which didn't make much sense to me because I hadn't been having sex and I'm not rough at all with myself. It didn't help, it still happened. I hadn't been sexually active for a long while and then maybe a few weeks after having safe sex was when I noticed the swelling happening. It didn't happen at all the night I had sex. I am a clean person already and when I noticed this I tried to be even more cleanly but that didn't help either.

Answer
Hi Roberta,
You didn't mention how long you've had this problem, or whether it is recurrent, how old you were, any past medical history, etc.  It sounds like an acute inflammation from yeast, a "contact" allergic reaction to a lubricant or latex, lymphedema from a host of different things, or an acute infection from a virus, such as herpes.

Please note, don't use the term "clean" because this refers to "freedom from dirt" not free from STDs. It is confusing, and it is difficult to  prove-- by either definition!

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar