Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Small red spots that turned into small craters/ulcers?

Question
One
One  

Two
Two  
Hi

Been with a long term partner for years now. Around two weeks ago I noticed a couple of red spots appear on the head of my penis, they didnt really cause any pain or discomfort. Then after a few days it started to feel very tender as though the head was swollen slightly. About 2 years ago I had what I believed to be the same symptoms and saw a doctor who said it was thrush and prescribed canisten. So I got some of this again and started to use about a week ago. Now the small red spots have been replaced by small crater like uncles which have a wet looking centre and are very sore to touch. I don't remember getting these last time although I do remember a small amount of discharge from the effected area last time. There is no itching or pain while urinating, just the sores on the head of my penis.

Hope you can help. Thank you.

Answer
Hello Neil,
The genital ulcer condition you have requires a viral and bacterial culture as soon as possible to determine exactly what the causative agent may be. I suspect that it may be herpes, which can be transmitted from oral, vaginal, or anal sex. Chancroid is possible, but it is very uncommon, and usually it causes only a single large dirty looking ulcer. Syphilis may cause a chancre, but this is a nontender and indurated, "clean looking" ulcer. A blood test may help in the diagnosis of syphilis, as most clinics do not have the ability to conduct a "dark field" examination directly from a specimen from the lesion.

The quickest thing to do is to get tested, and then request antiviral treatment (with acyclovir or valaciclovir).  If you don't have herpes, no harm done. If you do, it may help to speed healing.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar