Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Penis redness/burning

Question
 side
side  
Mark,
I  originally sought help from you in August last year about some redness on my penis that wasn't going away and was burning and causing me a lot of irritation.    Since then I have been to two different dermatologists, and I have tried prescription steroid creams, elidel, Vaseline, Cetaphil, pretty much everything I can think of.  The irritation gets better, but never fully improving. I am at my wits end at this point trying to figure out what is going on.   Is there  any other direction I should be seeking?  I am a 30  year old male, and I am gaining weight and unable to exercise without pain.

Answer
Hello Hank,
The photograph shows a tiny bit of very subtle redness, which in my eye appears to be an absolutely normal variation. Irritation is not just redness, it is also itching, swelling/edema, etc., all reflecting a disruption of the skin's defenses. That does NOT appear to be going on. You've already seen two different dermatologists, who are experts.

Is the pain you experience during exercise from this very area on your penis? If so, is it from too tight or too loose fitting underwear or jockstrap? Excessive rubbing?  Any other medical problems, taking any other medications for other conditions?  Pain during sex?  More information is needed to figure out what may be wrong.  However, it does NOT appear related to an STD.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar