Sexually Transmitted Diseases/red rash on penis

Question
friday night
friday night  

today
today  
Friday night I went to the ER with a rash on my penis, they told me it was herpes or looked like herpes gave me asyclovir and ketoconazole cream. Now I had some of the cream at home and used it when I got back. The rash is all but gone but did fill the acyclovir perscription. Would the pills work that fast? I did have protected sex about 3 days ago......thanks

Answer
Hello Matt,
Why would you waste your time, money and emergency department resources to go there for a penile rash? Emergency departments are specialists in life & limb EMERGENCIES, NOT STDs or skin rashes. That is what primary care doctors or dermatologists are for, or sometimes urgent care centers.

Although the photographs don't reveal the detail that are needed to be seen-- daylight is better than a flash, the rash looks less like herpes, and more like a skin fungus. I believe you are right, that the commonly used medications (acyclovir, valaciclovir) would not make the rash totally resolve in a matter of a few days. Herpes medications may cut the viral shedding and speed healing by about one half, but that means it still takes a week to heal like nothing has happened.

Use the ketoconazole cream, which is designed for skin fungi.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar