Sexually Transmitted Diseases/HSV 1 or Eczema or ???

Question
shaft
shaft  
Hi there.  Thanks for providing this service.  I've been in dire straights trying to find answers.  I'm 44 bisexual male, sexually active, multiple partners but safe play 100% of the time. I'm routinely test for STDs for peace of mind. As far back as I can remember, I've been + for HSV1. Don't remember oral lesions as an adult...but have levels of 1.31 since at least 2006/7.

In Jan of this year, I noticed what looked like a small round lesion on the bottom side of my penis shaft. No pain, itching, etc. I thought is was nothing, maybe irritation due to a boxer snap, or a zipper cut but panicked when I also developed rectal irritation and burning. I went to an STD clinic in the area and on observation - doc said "looks like herpes"...again, all the tests were neg except for HSV1 when came back 3.18.

I then also found a site that could do a culture and had the rectal irritation area evaluated. The new doc said he didn't think it was HSV1 but swabbed and cultured.  Again, swab culture was negative.

So over the last couple of months, I noticed what appears to be a red patch of skin on the top near the base of the shaft. Pic attached.  The area does not hurt, resemble a blister, nor weep.  The area responds well to steroid cream (prescription or over the counter).  Last time, the time to resolve was about 3 days and I added aquaphor. No more lesions on the underside of the shaft.

Just not sure what to assume is going on.  Everything a read is confusing...and sometimes I think I hyperfocus way too much and see things that are not there. I know the skin of the penis is variable in color...

Advice?

Answer
Hello Frank,
Your story is somewhat confusing. You have a positive herpes 1 antibody test, but no evidence of a direct HSV test demonstrating actual virus.  Then you mentioned a rectal irritation, a common variation caused by lots of things, including hemorrhoids, contact irritation, a condition known as pruritis ani, skin fungus, herpes, and lots of other things. You didn't mention whether you ever bottom during anal sex (anal receptive), or if you do, what type of lubricant you may use; whether you use any medications for any reason.

The fact that the penile skin lesion responds to a steroid cream and does not resemble a blister, etc., is good, and suggests it is NOT due to a sexually transmitted infection.

My guess is that using the steroid cream will probably be effective, as long as it is not overused. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Good luck!
--mark

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar