Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Penile wart?

QUESTION: I'm currently 27 years old and have just notice a (very) smart brown bump on my penis head.  At 19 i had a skin dr tell me i had genital warts (on the testicles).  Within 15 minutes of telling me, he had froze them all off and sent me on my way.  He said i should be fine and not to worry, but a part of me has always wondered about it. I've only been with one partner and have not had sex in nearly a year.

The growth in question is near the center of the question.  Is this a penile wart? The scarring you see is due to a circumcision i had At 25 i needed to have a circumspection done.  I'd greatly appreciate any info you may have since i can set up an appointment this weekend.

ANSWER: Hello Mark,
No photo was attached, so I cannot comment. Sometimes, normal skin blemishes may look very much like warts or near the circumcision line or elsewhere.

If you do see someone, make sure they have experience with skin or warts, not just some urgent care facility.

Good luck!

QUESTION: I've added an image to the bottom of my penis head.

Some added info as well.  I haven't had sex in upward to a year (again only have one sexual partner), though i have been masturbating often (without lube).  Is this something i should be concerned about?  Will using lube or stopping masturbating cause these bumps to fade away?  Thank you so much for your knowledge and time.

Hi Again, Mark,
Touching your thumb, there is a small whitish round area that I would be suspicious about for a possible flat wart caused by human papillomavirus (HPV).  On the glans, adjacent to the midline there are several blemishes that appear to be acute and self limited (going away by itself without treatment.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons