Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Question about STDs and HIV transmission likelihood

Question
Hello Mr. Behar,

I wanted to ask you a couple questions regarding testing for STIs and HIV. I have e-mailed you in the past about testing and now that i have done testing, i just wanted to know some more. As such, I'm 21 years old, male, and my exposure was oral/deep throat. I have never done anal or vaginal intercourse and i don't plan on it. Aside from that little speech, i went and got tested for STIs as you suggested previously as wanted to know a couple of things:
1) The sexual health nurse that i saw did an thorough examination of my genitals to see if any Herpes lesions were visible. After that, she said they were not characteristics of herpes lesions or genital warts. To them, it was normal variations such a fordyce spots, inflamed follicles, and sebaceous glands. Every now and than i feel itchy and random pinchy feelings and was wondering if what the nurse examined is accurate that there was no concern of herpes? (I know i didn't provide a picture but i was wondering if it is normal to get these random twitches/itchy feelings down under the genitals?)

2) I completed a urine and swab test of the urethra to test for chlamydia and gonorrhea but did not do a throat swab. The urine and urethral swab test came back negative as well. Should i go back and get a throat swab for possible chlamydia infection of throat. I do feel like something is there but i don't have any exudate in the back of my throat and it doesn't hurt to eat or swallow but i feel like something is in the back of my throat that i cannot get out simply by hacking? Could it be that the deep throat i did on the guy irritate my throat? or i  may have an infection and needed to get it diagnosed? Also, should my results be conclusive (for urine and urethral swab/genitals) if my exposure was three weeks ago or should i go for a repeat test again?

3) I know you have been through this before in saying the oral is low risk activity and no reported documents have shown oral as a high risk exposure like others, although the chances still exist... but should it warrant an HIV test? I didn't know the status of my partner (he claims to be clean -.-) and it worries me a little. I do know that no fluid was exchange. I have done HIV testing before and it came back negative... but this time him not so sure. Is it possible to do testing after 1 month and then pursue a repeat in two months at the three month mark to have conclusive results?

Thank you for your feed back in advance,

Alex

Answer
Hello Alex,
Random twitchy and itchy feelings are absolutely normal in the genital area. A throat swab for gonorrhea and chlamydia would be helpful, IF YOU HAVE ORAL SEX WITH ANOTHER PENIS. Your mouth to your partner's vagina rarely transmits gonorrhea or chlamydia, as you  need deep throat penetration to infect the back of the throat. The irritation in your throat may be due to allergies causing drainage to the back of the throat from sinuses, or acid reflux of acid up from the stomach to the back of the throat. The urine test for your penis should be rechecked every 3, 6, or 12 months depending on the frequency of unprotected sex with ANY partner(s). Periodic HIV testing is good to have, even though oral sex is considered a low risk activity, but as I may have said before, "low risk does not mean zero risk."

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar