Sexually Transmitted Diseases/std or some sort infection ??

belly scab
belly scab  
QUESTION: Hi, I'm john from venezuela 20 years of age

i have had sex with a stranger about 3 weeks ago.
and until 6 days ago i noticed some redness but nothing weird. after shaving down there and my belly it got worse so i thought maybe razor burn? but the blade was new and not cheap. after 2 days it spread from down there, to my belly. i have never had a razor burn like this before. and today i noticed a pimple with puss on my penis it self. i cant think of any std's that looks like this and spreads to the belly, its still spreading up.

-don't mind the whiteness on the scabs, its powder so it relieves the itchiness. they are actually red and possy like.

-ive tried topical antibiotics and powders, it helps but barely.

help me, pls

ANSWER: Hi John,
First, don't shave with a straight edged razor; use an electric/battery operated buzz clipper and a very short guide (like a Wahl for sideburns, etc.) so the skin is NOT injured by the razor. I would treat the existing rash with a different antibiotic ointment, after applying moist heat compresses to the affected areas. It could be herpes, but it doesn't really look like a herpetic rash.

However, an immediate diagnostic DNA test for herpes can rule out the viral infection if the blisters are still fresh when you have a swab sample collected. If it's totally healing, than the DNA test will be falsely negative; the antibody test is not sensitive and specific enough to determine if this current rash is caused by herpes after healing has progressed. There are effective medications for herpes, if that is what you may have, by the way, but the actual trade name is different in Venezuela than in the US.

Good luck!

QUESTION: Hey there again. Thank you  Dr. and especially for that fast reply.
i got an appointment with my Dr but since i dont have ways to get there (no car) i need to wait more. Meanwhile ive trimmed the hair down and used a dif topical antiB but seems to get worse.. powder helps the most since it dries them out. It has now spreaded to my belly side and yesterday ive gotten 1 new pimple on my chest, terapeuz (front), and under my right armpit. Could this still be herp or something els? herp doesnt spread that fast and far out right? ive been carefull not to touch anywhere els and washing my hands everytime afterw. (still didnt get it on my mouth, hopefully i never do)

Hi Again, John,
It isn't herpes. Herpes does NOT travel the way you describe. There is a cluster of blisters, than it heals. It doesn't continue to spread. It comes and goes, episodes separated by many weeks, months, or years. Have you ever read up about herpes?  Go to and type in herpes to find out more about signs and symptoms. Stop shaving with a razor, and use a tiny amount of antibiotic cream or ointment on each bumps after bathing DAILY.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons