Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Strep B Infection in penis

I was diagnoses with strep b in my penis following a urethra culture. I have since been cleared of the disease.

I'm trying to learn more about this disease because I could have never imagined to have a diseases found in the throat, infect my penis!

I understand now that the probably cause was from oral sex from my girlfriend who insists she is faithful. How could she get this disease? She's never complained of sore throat or shown symptoms of strep b in her throat.

I am becoming slightly concerned of the situation as I have since been diagnosed with another bacteria infection

ANSWER: Hello Stefan,
I'm not familiar with the virulence or disease-causing potential (pathogenesis) of strep B, unless there are other health problems. It is not usually considered a sexually transmitted disease, although the germ known as strep B can be spread between people.

From Mayo Clinic:
"Group B streptococcus (strep) is a common bacterium often carried in your intestines or lower genital tract. Group B strep is usually harmless in adults. In newborns, however, it can cause a serious illness known as group B strep disease."

Strep for most people, is just a nuisance germ. My guess is that you need to ask you doctor what he or she believe the significance to be!

Good luck!

QUESTION: None of the doctors believe it to be of significance and my urologist suggested many possible causes for the infection, my girlfriend not being the cause. However my girlfriend has seen a gynecologist who immediately suggested she passed it on to me through oral sex.

I have no real answer to what is the cause of getting this disease in my urethra and neither understand how to prevent this from happening again. Sucks.

Hi Again, Stefan,
It is NOT a disease.  It is a germ that may have colonized your urethra, or skin, or mouth. There are more germs in each of our bodies than cells that make us, "us."  That is not abnormal, it merely "is"!  There is no prevention. Absolutely nothing to worry about, except for the doctor who made you think it was something to worry about!

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons