Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Red Patches On Glans

Glans Red Patches
Glans Red Patches  
Glans Red Spot
Glans Red Spot  
QUESTION: Hello Mark,

I'm a 29 year old uncircumcised male living in Alberta, Canada.

On 25-Dec-13, I noticed a small red spot on the side of my glans after showering. Refer to the first picture where this red spot is visible.

Thinking it was a hygiene issue, I started to wash the glans under the foreskin, 3-4 times a day using fragrance free body wash gel & warm water.

On 6-Jan-14, I noticed some red patches along the bottom of my glans. The patches appear to look redder when the glans is wet and lighter when the glans is dry. I monitored these patches daily and took a picture each day to show the progress.

It is important to note that I've not experienced any burning, discomfort pain or itchiness during this whole process.

1) What could the small red spot on the side of the glans be?
2) What could've caused the red patches on the bottom of the glans?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

ANSWER: Hello Kevin,
You didn't mention if you have any other skin conditions. The red areas are due to some degree of inflammation and irritation from something. You should NOT wash glans or under foreskin with body wash gel. Plain water is okay, but soaps are all alkaline and can damage the skin, which I think happened to you. No strenuous washing or sex, until you have a chance to heal in a week or so.

Good luck!

Glans Red Patches 11-Jan-14
Glans Red Patches 11-J  

Glans Red Patches 12-Jan-14
Glans Red Patches 12-J  
QUESTION: Hello Mark,

Thanks for your quick response. I really appreciate your time & input.

I'm not suffering from any other skin conditions or ailments.
Also I'm not on any prescription medications either.

Please note that prior to noticing the red spot/patches, any penetrative sex I'd engaged in was always with a latex lubricated condom on. I should add that in some instances after penetrative sex, I noticed that such condoms would often cause the glans to feel irritated and become red for several hours.

Furthermore, while any penetrative sex was always with a condom on, all oral sex performed on me was unprotected. However there were no visual evidences that the women performing oral sex on me were suffering from any condition.

Since noticing the red patches on the glans on 6-Jan-14, I noticed that they would become become noticeably redder within mere MINUTES after masturbation. Rinsing the glans under warm/cool water, would then decrease the redness in a few hours.

I've attached some recent pictures of the glans taken on 11-Jan-14 & 12-Jan-14 showing it's current state.

1) What could be cause of these red patches/blotches on the glans? Are they simply clusters of engorged blood vessels due to friction from masturbation and perhaps more noticeable due to the soap removing the outer skin layer?
2) Does it appear to you that it could be something like dermatitis/balanitis/psoriasis/yeast infection or can we rule those out?
3) What would you recommend me to do to get rid of these red patches?
4) Also how long in your opinion will it take for the red patches to subside and/or disappear?

Thanks in advance for your follow-up feedback.

Hi Again, Kevin!
I believe they are what you said: clusters of dilated or engorged blood vessels from friction and worse after soap removed the other layer of unkeratinized skin cells.

It does NOT look like a yeast infection or balanitis, dermatitis, etc.

Use more effective silicone based lubricant, and just expect that this may be a normal consequence of sex. Nothing to worry about it.

Give it a week or two for everything to look okay again. Although it might happen again, given the same circumstances. Nothing to worry about!

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons