Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Blister/injury to Glans

Hello! I am a 24yr old monogamous married man in the USA. I am uncircumcised. I have developed a blister looking injury on the left side of my glans. It has no pain, burning, itching, discharge or anything. It is no different than the other side of my glans except for the unsightly bump.  The doc I saw seemed very young/new and gave me a shrug and "I don't know." I think it may have come from a rather drawn out masturbation session as it appeared suddenly but the doc I saw said it didn't look like a friction injury. It has been there for about a month and a half now and hasn't gotten worse or better. Both my wife and I were tested for STD's and both came up totally clean. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time and consideration!

Hello BrokeDick,
You mentioned "...[we] were tested for STD's and... came up totally clean."  This is somewhat meaningless, as there are a whole lot of STDs and NO ONE COMES UP TOTALLY CLEAN. Tests may be "negative" or "nonreactive" but never "clean"! Were you tested for herpes? If so, which test(s) were completed as there are more than 5 different tests for herpes, some of which blood (antibody) tests, and some are DNA swab tests.

If the herpes test is truly negative (depending on which one(s) you may have had, than it may be just a friction induced or allergy induced angioedema, which is just a localized swelling and itching that will clear spontaneously without medicine.

Which specific herpes tests were used, if any (antibody IgG, IgM, DNA/NAAT, culture for herpes type 1 and/or 2)?

Good luck,

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons