Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Bump/rash on penis.

So about two weeks ago I noticed a really REALLY itchy bump on the shaft of my penis which then spread to a rash reaching just above the head  (I'm circumsized). I know this isn't an STD as I haven't had sex in months. I figured it was some kind of fungal infection so I've been applying Lamisil cream on the bump and rash which definitely stops the itching, but it's been a week and a half and the bump and rash hasn't gone away. I've also been taking garlic as well. Also, the other day, the skin surrounding the head swelled up but went down within a day. Should I try something else? Is it in fact a FUNGAL infection or could it be bacterial? Am I going about this the right way? Thank you so much for you're help.

ANSWER: Brandon,

When you mean that the skin swelled, did you mean your whole glans swelled or did the foreskin swell? Both are indications of serious medical issues that should be addressed by a medical doctor because that could indicate an allergic reaction to something, which means its a traumatic injury or its a bacteria infection because fungal infections don't do what you're describing. Funguses don't make things swell at all generally! I would address this with your primary care provider or urologist as soon as possible.

Thank you for your response. I went to the dermatologist and was diagnosed with Scabies. I applied the permethrin 5% last Saturday and saw almost immediate results (the rash pretty much completely gone although the hardish bump on shaft is still there). As per my dermatologists request I applied the permethrin a second time a week later. About a day after that, the skin right before the head of my penis swelled up. It looks like a swollen band around the penis gland. It doesn't hurt at all. I did masturbate twice last week (once the rash was gone) could that have effected this? Will this go away on its own? Or should I seek more medical help?

I've attached a picture.

Thank you so much!

Oh my! Scabies is a highly contagious skin condition caused by mites that burrow under the skin and basically consume your blood. They're parasites for lack of a better word and are spread from partner to partner, so I really hope you haven't been having sexual contact with other people lately. Or at least wait until you kill the damn things until you do, but the solution your doctor prescribed you is a toxin comparable to powerful peroxide, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had some sort of reaction to it. I would assume it would go away on its own so wait it out and get back to me.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.