Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Dark spots + red spot in glans

Question
Before and after possible infection
Before and after possi  

Red spot
Red spot  
Hi, I would like to ask you about some spots I got on my glans:

About 3 months ago, I had unprotected sex with my ex-girlfriend. 2 days after that I found some red spots on my glans (as seen in the picture on the left).I had to move to another country so I did not have time to check for this (find a new house, job, etc). I settled down 7 weeks after and the red spots had spread to all my glans and foreskin (there were no sores/bumps neither discharge). During all that time I used clotrimazol/ketoconazol and fluconazole with no results.

After 8 weeks I went to see a dr. He was a really bad doctor, he saw the rash and said "It is herpes" (the consult lasted 3 minutes basically). I said that there were already 8 weeks and it lasted too long to be herpes. He prescribed tetracycline + cepradoxile and it worked! But these are antibiotics, so it would have no effect in herpes but in bacteria (am I right?)

After the red dots almost disappeared, three dark spots appeared in my glans (as seen in the picture on the right). I didn't have them before, and at the very top of my glans there is still one small red dot. I went to see a second doctor yesterday and he said it was a fungus and prescribed miconazole (but I already tried fluconazole without results).

Do you think this is a chronic bacterial infection? Or is it herpes? Why there was some relief with antibiotics but not with clortimazol (and ketoconazol/fluconazol)? I'm so scared that not even de doctors know what's happening. Thank you so much for your help.

Answer
Hello John,
You were correct in your assessments.  The clotrimazole, ketoconazole, and fluconazole are all three different antifungals collectively known as "azoles," and one of them should have been effective if you really had a skin fungal infection, which it doesn't look like. Tetracycline, etc. are in fact antibiotics which would have been useless against herpes, which you obviously did not have. It wasn't really appropriate to prescribe oral antibiotics for a minor skin infection.  Applying moist heat and a topical antibiotic cream or ointment would be just as effective, without causing potential side effects. Unfortunately, uncircumcised penises tend to develop friction related skin irritations (from sex, rubbing, masterbation, etc.).  

It is not a chronic bacterial infection, just an acute one that hasn't completely healed. Everything will eventually improve! Just give yourself some more time, with the topical antibiotic.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar