Sexually Transmitted Diseases/herpes or not

QUESTION: Right before I got birth control dermal implant out, I started having this one small painful bump repeatedly in the same place. It looks like an infected hair, but I get this itchy tingling feeling the week before I get it. Is it just irritation from a pad or hairs or herpes?

ANSWER: Naomi,

Actually that "tingly" sensation you're describing is a great method people use to let them know a herpes outbreak is coming. And the fact that the bump occurs in the same place is also an indicator that you could have HSV. If you've never been tested before, you might want to go to the doctor and get the blood test just to be sure. Get back to me once you find out the results.

Best wishes,

QUESTION: Well it's a hormone imbalance from my birth control removal not herpes... The tingly was because I didn't shave for a few weeks.  And doctor said my hormones caused genital acne and irritation from wearing pads (been bleeding for three weeks).

Nevertheless, people with herpes have reported the sensation of a tingle from the impending herpes infection and just between you and me the shaving is a bad idea because of the risk of infection and ingrown hairs. Instead of a mechanical razor, consider doing a Brazilian wax, or an electric razor with a guard. If you have further questions, let me know, but it seems you have your answers.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.