Sexually Transmitted Diseases/On my skin

My name is Darius Smith I'm 21 and live in Montogmery and I wanted to ask you a question about HIV/AIDS and STDS. Ok I'm a bisexual guy and I had unprotected sex with three guys that say they are clean and are negative. I saw these little spots or bumps on my arm and leg and I was trying see what are they? I asked my mom and she said they are just bumps, she even has them. Would you mind telling and explaining to me what are they please?

Hello Darius/Derek,
(I was out of town this weekend and am just now reading both your notes but combine my response!)

Your skin looks like you may have an acute or chronic irritation. The skin looks red, warm, tender with a nonspecific border. This is consistent with cellulitis, not an STD, and requires a prescribed antibiotic. There are a few darker red or darker pigmented areas that may be due to some longer term irritation.  So the bottom line is that you should seek out a health care provider that can properly diagnose your problem and then treat you correctly.

You stated that you had "unprotected sex" with three guys that were reportedly "clean and negative."
What type of unprotected sex? You were sucked off? You sucked these others? Anal receptive? Anal insertive?
And what does "clean" mean?  Freshly washed? Come on, now. No one has a single uniformly accepted definition for this and using it is misleading. Ditto for "negative."  For syphilis? hepatitis B? gonorrhea? human papillomavirus/warts? herpes? chlamydia? HIV? Most of these infections have "windows" between when an infection could be spread to the time when the test will actually turn truly positive. And these windows are different for all of these infections.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons