Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Vaginal "paper cuts"

So recentoy I've noticed pain while wiping. For awhile it'd happen some times but not others. Then the other day i noticed it hurt a little more. Not unbearable just a little more & I completely forgot to look and i showered and shaved that area. When i got out i remembered i needed to look. From the clit upward there is a red line, no bumps just irritated id say and 2 cuts that look like paper cuts. I am pretty sure that's the only time I've ever had cuts there and it has completely stressed me out. I am a virgin. I have never gotten oral. But a couple years ago i used my sisters vibrator and she does have herpes. I have never had any "huge breakout" or anything like that but its always been in the back of my head. I've always had irregular periods. I had it for a year straight, took birth control and they were fine then i stopped, didnt have them for a year and now for a couple weeks i seem to spot constantly. And i seem to have an odor more often than not which i thought was from not washing the area often enough.  The only vaginal bumps i've had is a small rock hard bump in a different area. Never broke or anything like that and just went away. I've never been to a gyno. Just hoping to get answers about the cuts.

Hello Beth,
If you've NEVER had any sexual contact with another person-- oral, vaginal, penile, etc., than it is very unlikely that you have an STD. Herpes is a remote possibility from the vibrator but herpes does not survive on such objects for very long, therefore unless used by your sister during one of her outbreaks and then inadequately cleaned and reused by use immediately, there may be slightly increased risk to you.  However, this seems UNLIKELY. You may have a vaginal yeast and/or bacterial vaginosis, neither of which are sexually transmitted conditions. The spotting and menstrual irregularity are unrelated to the "paper cuts".

A women's health provider or gyn may help reassure you everything is okay, or provide you with medications that might help the healing.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons