Sexually Transmitted Diseases/warts

Hello mr. Mark.. Im jimmy james 26 years of age live in jeddah but originaly i lived in getting worried about my warts i dont know what to do. I searched the net it says warts just fade in the right time.. Some says liquid nitrogen or salicylic acid because this treatment does not remove the virus so warts will still grow again and gain..i have a sample. A wart in my hand giving birth to small warts now i got several warts in my hand...

Hello Jimmy,
Although these could be nonvenereal hand warts, they really don't even look like warts to me.  The classic hand warts either are butcher's warts that look much like venereal warts of the hands and fingers-- small, filamentous, cauliflower in appearance. The thick firm warts that are extremely hyperkeratonized... almost like a hard corn or callous with punctate blood vessels within, can be partially shaved down a bit with a straight edged safety razor before applying a freezing medication (some of which are available over-the-counter in the US) or certain acid treatments like salacylic acid or others.  Any on the finger sometimes succumb to simply wrapping the finger circumferentially with duct tape for 6 days on, 1 day off, then repeat.  Sometimes tough to do if you are in a profession that might find a duct tape wrapping in place for so long! (If you do construction or other labor job, than it's easier to get away with, and duct tape is far more resilient than a band aid!)

But like I said, it doesn't really look like even typical flat warts. I would therefore consider a dermatologic condition that might respond to a strong steroid cream, probably requiring a prescription. A dermatologist would be able to help you more immediately.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons