Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Follow up from sore on vagina

Question
Hello again. I scheduled an appointment with my gyno last week for a pap smear because of this sore. The problem is I had a pap done back in March and had a normal pap. Do you think I need to go this month even though I went in march?? Is it possible that I may have HPV inside my vagina hole that is not showing?? I know for sure that the shaft of his penis was covered with a condom. Is it still possible if he had HPV that it would've went inside my vagina even when the shaft of his penis was covered??

I also would like to thank you for the speedy answer and your educational response.

Answer
Hello Celeste,
A "Pap test" is simply an examination of the cervix for evidence of abnormal cells there that might develop into warts or other precancerous changes.  This is usually done once every year or so. However this is accompanied by a pelvic exam which is more thorough, and is designed to examine the external and internal parts of the vulvovagina, which also includes the cervix, but may exclude the Pap, per se.  So a pelvic exam is important, but the Pap may not be, depending on what the provider observes.

Condoms are primarily designed to cover the head and distal shaft of the penis, to prevent ejaculate from causing an unwanted pregnancy.  The secondary goal is to prevent an STD, but if you examine a penis after sex while wearing a condom, the condom frequently "rides up the shaft" to expose the base and proximal shaft.  That part may still transmit herpes or HPV/warts, as the rubbing and friction during sex can cause this to happen. So the inside of the vagina can easily be exposed to the skin of the uncovered penis, even though the end is covered with a condom, and that you are essentially protected against unwanted pregnancy, as long the condom stays on, doesn't rip, etc.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar