Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Genital Warts?

Question
bumps
bumps  
Hi, I'm a 40years old female and I'm sexual active.
I see many bumps around my vagina. They grow within one Week with get an itch and burn

are these genital warts? HPV?

thanks for your help

Answer
Kirsten,

The bumps are known as papillae and are not indicative of any STI. In fact, they've been there all along, but you haven't really notice them. Especially after intercourse they really "stand out" because of the friction forces that cause the skin cells in your vagina to become irritated and slightly inflamed. Papillae are actually normal, so unless during your pap smears the OBGYN detects inconsistencies there is nothing to be alarmed about. If you do ever see a "bump" that worries you, you can do an easy home test to detect HPV and pre-cancerous tissue. Dip a Q-Tip in white vinegar and rub it over whatever area you're curious about. If the area turns WHITE, then it could be either viral or pre-cancerous tissue, but if the area stays PINK, then that's normal tissue and nothing to be alarmed about. In fact, the vinegar could burn away the tissue that's bothering you!

To address your "itchiness" issue, pruritus can be attribute to either vaginal dryness, which is physiological, or to an infection, which you haven't told me about. If you're concerned about whether or not this could be an issue, I would behoove you to consult with your provider about this, but if you need follow-up let me know.

Cheers,

John  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice