Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Glans and foreskin inflammation

I am an Asian male (25 years, uncircumcised, no sexual contact), I am suffering from a chronic inflammation of glans, i noticed it about 8-9 months ago, when i first asked it about a dermatologist he prescribed an anti fungal tablet with 'Mone' and 'Sertakon' ointment, it helped inflammation but it never disappeared, now few weeks ago i noticed that there is adhesion between corona and inner foreskin so when i showed it another dermatologist he said its 'candidal balanoposthitis' and prescribed me two tablets(Finlite 250 mg, and XLOR-MD) and an ointment (L M Sone-T). and asked me to take the 10 day course. Now I am not sure if i am being misdiagnosed each time and if its a serious thing. (Please see attached images)

Hello Vivek,
One of the ongoing problems of a having a foreskin are intermittent inflammatory disorders that may need treatment. I am unfamiliar with the names of the medications you mentioned-- Mone, Sertakon, Finlite, XLOR-MD, LM Sone-T. Usually, the generic names (in the tiny print) more accurately disclose what the medication is. Sometimes there are adhesions that prevent the skin from sliding back and fully exposing the head (glans), but as long as there is no pain, no abnormal curvature of the erect penis, or other discomfort, these adhesions are usually left alone. Some men elect to have a partial "turtleneck" circumcision to help discourage these intermittent conditions.

However the skin really looks okay, although a bit red, and as long as there is no itching or pain (during erections, masturbation, ejaculation), and the foreskin can fully or almost fully retract, there is nothing to worry about.  Trust in the specialists you have seen and ask them these questions so that you know what they are doing and why they're doing it!

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons