Sexually Transmitted Diseases/No sex

I'm a virgin. Every few months I get a bump in my vagina usually under the skin. It's not from shaving, but it's usually not painful. I have two now and and it hurts very bad this time. I'm not sure how to word it but it's on the opening of my vagina. It always feels like I peed my pants because it's so wet. It's not pee. No matter how much I wash or how much water I drink my vagina is always wet. I've never had any type of sex, not even oral. I would go to the doctors but I have no insurance.

Hello Annon,
I would go to a Planned Parenthood Clinic in your area, for free or very low cost health care. The lesion you have appears to be one of several things:  a skin fungus which may cause the symptoms you are experiencing; an inflammatory papule from a skin bacteria or from shaving (why do you think it is not due to shaving?), possibly herpes, but this seems unlikely since you've never had oral or genital-to-genital sex contact. Sometimes there are malformations of vulvar or vaginal anatomy that may contribute to fistulae, or fissures, but these require evaluation from someone knowledgeable in such variations and pathologies.

This is the time to sign up for Affordable Health Care Insurance (Obamacare), but if you are a student, student health at your school may help; city or county health department or as mentioned above, a family planning clinic such as Planned Parenthood, may be able to help.  Also, there may be community health centers (federally qualified health centers) and urgent care facilities that may be able to help. Google search for "free clinics" and your city's name.  The urgency is that it HURTS, and pain is always a warning that potential damage may be occurring.  

Good luck! Wish I would offer better suggestions.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons