Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Std, sti, hiv or what?

I started having sex when I was 14 with my boyfriend and we were monogamous. I had one night stands with three guys after that. Got tested and have never had an STD  or STI. Haven't had sex in over a year, recently started dating my current boyfriend and we had sex, about three weeks later I noticed flaky/ peeling skin around my labia majora & clitoris. No odd discharge or odor. I asked him if he had anything (like a rash) and he said he has the same thing I did. I've been putting coconut oil on my infected areas. The spots of skin apear white until you peel it then it goes red or bleeds. No sores or blisters. Today I've noticed a rash on my feet, not like on my vagina, but small red dots. Not raised and not itchy, but slightly tingles. Please help Im scared, I'm 16 and have only had sex with four guys.

Hello Jannis,
The first question is if you are using an effective method of birth control to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. It does not sound like your current symptoms are being caused by an STD (the same thing as STI, and HIV is one of many STDs or STIs), but more likely to be a yeast vaginitis. The itchy rash on your feet may also be due to a skin fungus. And HPV is associated with cervical cancer, and is also an STD, even if you may have had the vaccination against HPV (Gardisil, Cerverix).

Stop the coconut oil, as this is not helping to health the infection, only to cover up some of the itching or other symptoms. However, there is a good chance that if you continue to have unprotected sex with one or more guys, you are certain to have a failure in your protection and end up with an infection and/or a pregnancy.  A local Planned Parenthood clinic may be able to help you with both contraception and STDs..

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons