Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Is it a uti or something else?

I had sexual intercourse protected of course 3 weeks ago and a few days after that I notice I had to use the bathroom more than usually and I found a small very small bump on my penis head near the opening(I have been masturbating alot in a sock unlubed so I figure its a friction bump)

I also found a bump that looks and feels like a ingrown hair under my scrotum how likely can it be herpes or warts

my penis has been feeling kinda strange so I look online and look up my symptoms and seen uti could be what I had so I took the home test and yes I have UTI

What likelyhood is it that I caught herpes or warts from this encounter when it was protected sex and a unprotected hand job?

Hello Raal,
There is no effective "home test" for a UTI for men, despite what the advertising on the test kit package may have said.  You provided no information about your age, your sexual activities or habits, your past medical history, etc.  History accounts for 70-80% of a diagnosis, and physical findings the remainder (20-30%).  I cannot give you an guess for whether you may have "caught" herpes or warts, because one doesn't "catch" such things.  Viruses cause infection by a certain mechanism where the virus (or lesion shedding the virus) is spread to an uninfected person during  friction induced cuts or scrapes during sex.  

Why are you masturbating in an unlubricated sock, rather than with your hand, in a shower or elsewhere, with lubrication?? Sebaceous (oil) glands as well as pimples, skin tags, molluscum contagiosum, warts, and ingrown hairs are all similar in how they may look and feel and may occur on or under your scrotum, your penis, your perineum, your anal area. Herpes looks and acts differently.  

Men rarely get "urinary tract infections" in the classic sense, but may develop acute prostate infections, which may have similar symptoms.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons