Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Cold sore

Good day,

I've had cold sores on my lips since I was young, but lately have been seeing them more frequently appear in my nostril. My question is: Seeing as they are slightly out of the way, would kissing somebody be a risk for transmission nonetheless? I guess my worry is that the virus may be active in the surrounding area, or that since the mouth and nose are connected internally the infection can travel from one to the other. What are your thoughts?

I have to specify that I'm not 100% sure that it's an outbreak, but I can't think of anything else it may be. Difficult to see inside the nose, after all.

People who have cold sores HAVE the Herpes Virus inside of them. Yes they are contagious, even during a plateau period, but generally they are the most contagious during an outbreak and can appear anywhere on your mouth and even into your nose because those are mucosal surfaces in which the virus loves to take up residence. I would recommend taking prophylaxis for your cold sores to shorten the healing time needed to put them back in remission. Abreva is a great place to start and is over the counter, but if you want to be certain of taking medicine for your problem, then please contact your primary care provider. And one more thing, don't smooch anyone during an outbreak! Stay safe my friend.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.