Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Questionable

Questionable Bump
Questionable Bump  
This bump popped up on my lip just last night. I had sex 3 nights ago with my long term boyfriend. Is this  a symptom of an STD.? It's not a 'zit' but more like a bump.

A bump you say? Hmmm could be localized tissue flare, but if it becomes itchy, scabby, dry, or flaky, then it could be a sign of something more. The STI Herpes Simplex Type 1, or Oral Herpes HSV-1, is a viral STI (which means no cure, but treatable!) that forms from direct mouth to mouth contact with a person with HSV-1. However, HSV-2, or genital herpes, which normally comes from forms of groin to groin contact are common as well an affect as many as 254 million Americans (Herpes Online, 2012). Keep in mind that a person with HSV-2 can GIVE someone HSV-1 if you perform oral sex on them (they don't even have to have an active outbreak to transmit it!).

All this information is overwhelming I'm sure, but its better to educate people then have them waiting in the dark. Best option is to make an appointment with your primary care provider or specialist and have them take a look at it themselves. Remember to all practice safe, sexual behavior and to look out after #1, which is you! If you have any follow-up, let me know and stay safe.

Herpes Online (2012). What is oral herpes? Retrieved from:

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.