Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Fordyce Spots?

Question
About a week ago i saw a bunch of spots on my labia and i wasnt sure what they were. For i few days i tried to forget about them and not worry but its really bothering me a lot. They dont hurt at all. And i know its not a STD for sure because im not sexually active. I looked at some pictures of fordyce spots and they look similiar to mine. What are fordyce spots really and will they go away if that is what i have?

Answer
Hi Kelsey,

Fordyce's tends to come and go and there is no active treatment for them that exists. They tend to take the form of papules, but they're usually in clusters, not spread out. If you're not sexually active, then its not a sign of any bacteria, virus, or yeast infection that I would normally advise clients about, so its up to you to decide whether or not you want them checked out. Lots of people have them, but in a very small subset of people, the Fordyce's could be an indication of pre-cancerous tissue. Don't let that scare you because the odds are in your favor. Let me know what you think and best wishes.

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice