Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Is it herpes?

labia bumps
labia bumps  
I am a 16 year old female, and on march 8 2014 I had unprotected "sex" with my boyfriend ( he didnt actually insert his penis into me completely). ten days later (march 18) I noticed that there are small bumps on my inner vaginal lips. They are very itchy and are on both the right and left side however they are more prominent on the left. I commonly get cold sores on my lip, however we did not preform any oral sex. Im really worried that this may be herpes, but I have also re ad that yeast infection has common symptoms.

Can you please tell me what you think of this situation? Thank you

Hi Helen,

If you do get cold sores then you already have the herpes virus inside of you. Known as Type 1 Herpes Simplex Virus, or HSV 1, the virus lives along the nerve bundles of your skin and remains dormant for long periods of time before being triggered (by any number of causal events) and can cause an outbreak. Know that at ANY time the virus can be transmitted via unprotected intercourse to your partner (even though you're more likely to transmit via an active outbreak). If you perform unprotected oral sex on your partner and transmit the virus, then he is at risk for HSV 2, which is the genital form of the virus. With that said, your tissue is inflamed and the "red streaks" indicate some form of reaction of what I cant tell, so to soothe your worries consult your OBGYN or even a primary care specialist for more information. By the way, if it was a yeast infection, you would have some form of milky discharge, a noticeably strong odor, AND the itchiness of course. If you notice that your seminal fluid takes on a strong scent, or looks more cloudy then usual, that's a great indicator of a bacterial or yeast infection.

Stay Safe,

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.