Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Herpes (scab)

QUESTION: Earlier today I had some raised bumps on my face (about three) that had white stuff inside them. Due to shame or possible embarrassment, I picked at them and now have red and scabbed skin. What do you think it is

ANSWER: That sounds like Fordyce's spots Michael and they're quite normal for a large segment of the population. Kind of like persistent papules, but I know you shouldn't pick them because they could get infected! Its not a pimple for sure, but for a more accurate diagnosis you should consult a primary care specialist for more information. Stay safe.

QUESTION: The papules you spoke of were three tiny pus-filled bumps that I accidentally picked while shaving with an electric trimmer. As a result, I now have a huge scar (ulcer?) underneath my lip in the area where these bumps began. I am unable to consult a medical specialist in person at this time but needed clarity on what I should and can do at home (over the counter). I have looked up many things in terms of scar relief on how to heal them, because my main concern is to avoid embarrassment at all costs.

ANSWER: A lot of people get them in that specific area you're talking about Michael. However, I cannot recommend your course of action at this time, other than consulting a physician for laser or thermal induction. From what I could see on the internet, some people use Tretinoin  or also called Retin-A, which is specifically for dermatological use. People use tretinoin for scars as well, but its up to you at this point.

QUESTION: I have been having diarrhea all weekend with a very poor appetite. This is new for me and I'm use to getting pustules on my back, neck, and legs but never on my face. This is new and annoying because of the blemish. I read online that this kind of acne can cause one diarrhea among others things which really surprised me.

You also realize you could be giving YOURSELF those symptoms because of your anxiety. Psychosomatic symptoms are present in people who are paranoid, or hypochondriacally inclined. If these symptoms continue, it might be present of a virus, which may or not be sexually focused, so consult a doctor for further information and I hope you feel better.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.