Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Severe Burning when urinating/ Red penis head/ swollen lymph node Please Help

Hi John,

I had unprotected sex with a new female partner 6 days ago. Three days ago I began experiencing slight burning when urinating. It has progressively worsened and now the burning is severe when urinating. Urine also drips when I am done for around 10 seconds. The tip of my penis is now swollen and red and very sensitive. My left groin lymph is also swollen and sensitive. I'm hoping this is some form of UTI, but it does seem to be like an STD. I don't currently have health insurance so I'm hoping it will be a quick fix. What is your opinion? I have attached a photo

Thank you

Hi Mike,

You wouldn't experience STI symptoms within a week of transmission, more like a couple months. With that said, it sounds an awful like a yeast infection, which does cause UTI's; I've had them two and its why cranberry juice is my best friend! If that redness I see in the picture continues to spread and the pain increases, you could have advanced from a UTI to balanitis, which needs prescription medication most of the times to treat it, so let your primary care provider know in a few days if that happens. Best wishes.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.