Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Fear of HIV infection over ENT procedure

Local Anaesthetic Spray
Local Anaesthetic Spra  
I had a severe throat pain and inflammation for 2 weeks. So, yesterday, I went to a ENT doctor. Before me, the doctor was attending a patient who is both HIV positive & Hep-B positive. This patient suffers from mouth ulcers. The doctor used a local anesthetic spray to spray on the mouth and throat of the HIV patient. I placed the anesthetic spray photo in . The long straw of the spray touches the oral lesions while spraying.

Unfortunately the doctor took the same spay and used it on my throat within 1-2 minutes. He used for more than 4 to 5 times within 1-2 minutes. The straw of the spray touched my inflamed throat. According to me, the straw of the anesthetic spray is contaminated. When I asked the doctor, he told me that it is the practice they use for all. But I am sure that the straw of the anesthetic spray is contaminated.

With lot of confusion I reached home. Now I am getting fear whether I will get HIV virus. Please help me with your suggestions. Will I get HIV virus?

Hi Faheem,

Saliva is not a route in which the virus can be transmitted, which is why, your dentist and no patient should ever be concerned about the use of equipment on multiple patients. However, I understand your reticence, because of the lack of education on this issue. You should be aware that HIV can only be transmitted in one of four modes: blood, breast milk, vaginal secretions, and seminal fluid. Does this help? I'm sorry you were so worried :(

Best wishes,

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.