Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Questions concerning chlamydia

Question
Hi, I found out I tested positive for chlamydia on 4/12/14. I took my antibiotic (azithromycin) that same day, and my boyfriend took his on the 15th. We have not had sex yet. My vaginal fluids haven't come into contact with his mouth or penis, and his fluids haven't come into contact with me. However, I did masturbate him the other day (no condom), and we used my saliva as lubricant. Then, this morning, we did the same thing again, and he even ended up licking his hand after stroking himself to add more lubrication. Technically, I suppose we are still undergoing treatment. My question is, could we have possibly reinfected each other by doing this? I don't even know what the chances are that either of us had chlamydia in our mouths. Also, how long should we wait to have unprotected sex? Long story short, the reason we ended up catching it is because a lot of stuff happened that shouldn't have (it was my fault), but we worked things out, we're back together, and are completely faithful to eachother.

Thank you so much for your time!

Answer
Hi Sarah,

I wouldn't be worried about transmission from saliva as that is not a form of transmissible fluid transfer. However, if I were you, I would wait to have sex after you have completed full course of your antibiotic treatment. The reason for this is you could possible re-infect each other with a different strain of the bacteria and then wham you have to start from scratch all over again. Typically, it takes about a week for you to become non-contagious after starting treatment. If you absolutely can not wait to have sex, at least use protection to avoid risk, but I would wait, in all cases, at least a week, AND use protection until the course of treatment is finished.

Best wishes,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice