Sexually Transmitted Diseases/vaginal problems

I've recently been experiencing red sores on the top portion of my vagina. They usually come and go within a few days but are extremely itchy. They start out at sore-like circles and then "pop", only after they pop, it makes my entire vaginal area itchy. I am in a monogamous relationship currently but hardly have sex with my boyfriend because his penis is too large and has to be forced into my vagina which hurts. After sexual intercourse it almost always hurts to urinate (but just right after). After that first urination, i'm fine. I am now experiencing a fishy odor coming from my vaginal area and it has been going on for about a week and a half now. I was researching online and saw that it could possibly be bacterial vaginosis. I haven't had the sores in a while though but I usually see them a few days after sexual intercourse. My boyfriend has not experienced anything abnormal with his penis so I don't think it is an STI, although I'm not sure. What do you think this could be? Thanks a lot!

Hi Melanie,

The sores definitely do sound like herpes, but they wouldn't be associated with the painful urination or the odor, so this means its a bacterial infection to blame and yes it would be sexually related. The only way you're going to get rid of this is to treat it with antibiotics, so unless you want to transmit it to your boyfriend (and I hope you haven't already and maybe you got it FROM him, in which case HE should be treated for it too) then you should BOTH see a doctor for a check up.

Stay safe,

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.