Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Gonorrhea and Chlamydia

I just have some questions about the two diseases listed above in particular. I am a gay male, and had oral sex with another male for the first time today. He is a few years older than I am (I'm 18), and has been with other partners though claims to be completely STD free. I believe him, but want to be 100% sure I am still disease free. How long should I wait until getting tested? How long usually until symptoms show up? I read online these two are the ones I am most susceptible to, as we performed oral sex on each other w/o a condom and both swallowed the ejaculate. I further read symptoms may never show up. If they don't and I don't get tested, can this negatively impact my health down the road?

If after testing I find I am positive for one of these diseases, do they go away on their own or is treatment absolutely necessary? I read on they will go away on their own about six weeks later, maybe more, but wanted to see if there is truth to this and if it is harmful not to medicate it. I think I'm just being a bit paranoid as usual, but I want to be sure I'm safe from the diseases.

Thank you! :)

Hi Tyler,

STI's do not typically go away on their own; in fact, a rule I tell clients is generally NEVER. Viral STI's like HIV, HPV, HSV, have no cure, but there are treatments available and sometimes your immune system can help slow the progression or even onset of the disease. Specifically, HPV (human papillomavirus or genital warts) has been found in some cases to be eradicated by the immune system, but only in certain strains, so that's a best-case scenario. Bacterial STI's like gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis do have a cure and can be treated, but do not go away on their own. In fact, they will get progressively worse. With the exception of HIV, bacterial STI's are usually worse than their viral cousins and I would recommend immediate treatment if indeed you did have one.

Now for your first question. The fact that you had unprotected oral sex, while not Earth-shattering, is something you need to be aware of as a possible mode of oral strains of chlamydia. The chances of exposure to STI's via the oral route is much lower, but you can get tested 3 weeks after unprotected intercourse, which is about how long it takes for the first antibodies to make their appearance within the immune system. So, since this happened today, I would wait 3-4 weeks from now, assuming you didn't do anything else, otherwise you would be compounding your results. Lets say you got tested for what happened today 3 weeks from now, but two weeks from now you had unprotected oral again. The test would not pick up anything you did on that recent occasion and you would need to be retested again in another 3-4 weeks to see if you were exposed to anything from that. Do you get it?

Best wishes,

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.