Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Is this herpes?

QUESTION: A couple months ago I got several small bumps
On my left upper labia after shaving with an electric razor.   I put a salt compress on them and they turned white and went away.  It happened again about 3 months ago and became incredibly swollen and the bumps turned out to have a lot of puss in them.  I went to the doctor and she gave me oral and topical antibiotics. By the next day the swelling was all the way down and it wasn't very painful anymore. It went away completely within a week. I shaved on Sunday and I woke up Monday morning with a red swollen area in the same spot. It progressed to almost blisters then ended up being a big area or puss.  It is painful.  I have been using warm salt compresses again and it's almost gone and barely painful. But I just noticed another small red bump coming up further away from this spot. I have always used the same razor. I am sexually active with the same man....although that doesn't mean he's been faithful. Do you think this is herpes or something else? The thing that throws me off is the swelling. I haven't read much that says herpes causes severe swelling like this. Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Sarah,

Its confused me that you haven't actually re-read your statement to me and come up with a better answer yet! The final answer is no it isn't herpes, but what do you think it could be? I'll give you a've been using it all along.

Best wishes,

QUESTION: Thank you. That's what I thought but it blisters and keeps coming back in the same spot!

You're allergic to the razor!!!! Stop using it!!! Also it could be that you're having a some genetic skin reaction to the process of getting shaved and that's something that needs to be discussed with a dermatologist because your blisters always coincided after doing that.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.