Sexually Transmitted Diseases/what are these fingerlike bumps?


i am a sexually active teenager who has had unprotected sex in the past 9 months with 3 different guys. about 3 months ago my right labia minora was a little itchy so the doctor gave me the pill to wipe out a yeast infection..that did not work. now, both of my labia minora are very uncomfortable especially when i am wearing underwear. a couple of weeks ago i noticed little bumps and finger like projections on the sides of my labias and i am extremely scared they are gential warts because I dont think that I have ever seen them before. my boyfriend does not complain of any itching or uncomfort on his genitalia. also i have a white thicker discharge than normal. it is getting extremely uncomfortable

Hi Jaclyn,

Actually it was a good thing to get treated for a fungal infection because you ruled out that it wasn't a fungal infection. However, you've narrowed it down to bacterial at this point because bacterial STI's DO have discharge and that would be the ultimate sign that you're showing symptoms of chlamydia or gonorrhea at the worst, but I wouldn't start to panic. You need to see your primary care physician or OBGYN and get swabs and panels for the STI series as soon as you can. Also, if they turn out positive and you have been engaging in unprotected intercourse, then you put all of your partners as risk and its possible they have it to. You'll have a moral dilemma to inform them to get tested and treated as well, but I would knock this out as soon as you can because it will only get worse. The good news, if you and your partners are worried about cost, is that Planned Parenthood offers STI testing at a huge discount dependent on your income, so money is of no concern dependent on your health. Please consider seeing someone and I wish you the best.

P.S-The bumps you're describing are papilla and are not a sign of a STI themselves, but can have symptoms like pruritus (itching) associated with them. That can be exacerbated by an infection.

My Best,


Sexually Transmitted Diseases

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Brice


Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.


3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Awards and Honors
Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

Past/Present Clients
*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.

©2017 All rights reserved.