Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Hair follicle issue on scrotum

Question
Hair follicle
Hair follicle  
Hello! So I recently discovered this lump on my scrotum which looks like a hair follicle protruding. There's a slight feeling when I pull on it and I actually just pulled out the hair, leaving the lump as it is on my scrotum. I've attached an image, hopefully I'll get a reassurance that it's harmless. Just checking.

Answer
Hi Jack,

That's actually a sebaceous cyst, more commonly called a Fordyce's spot. They are relatively common in men and women and are known to have a genetic component, so its likely other people in your family have them. Because you pulled out the attached hair filament, you noticed it didn't "pop" the way a pimple would. This is because its not a pimple, but the cystic material likes much farther down in the fascia (tissue) than "whitehead" material would. It is highly recommend you do NOT attempt to remove this material on your own as you will scar yourself. Dermatologists and physicians are the ones trained to do this and its an in-house procedure, so if these bother you that much, then I would suggest making an appointment before you start putting little holes in your scrotum! Also, Fordyce's is NOT a disease ok? Any follow-up questions let me know.

Best wishes,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice