Sexually Transmitted Diseases/HPV

Question
I'm seeing a man who got HPV from his ex wife.
He and I have not been intimate in any way shape or form. However he did tell me he had this and that it is a virus.

When I was 18, my doctor had me take an HPV vaccine but I do not know any information about the vaccine except that it was the most painful shot I've ever had!!!

Anyway my question is, if I got the vaccine, and in the event I did have sex with this man, can I still get HPV?

How can I protect myself from getting HPV? How is it spread? Does it always cause cancer? How can a man have HPV anyway?

Answer
Greetings,

Human Papillomavirus or also commonly called Genital Warts is a viral sexually transmitted infection that produces skin growths in and around the genital and anal area and affects men and women in equal quantities. There are over 100 strains and Gardasil (the vaccine) only protects against a few of those, but those are the worst ones generally that have been known to lead to cervical cancer. So its possible to get a different strain of the virus even having the vaccine, which is why practicing safe sex is the best way to reduce transmission of the other forms of HPV and anything else! Note: Male condoms only cover the penis; nothing else. Which means HPV that affects the groin is fair game and can be transmitted to the partner by physical/sexual contact, which is why female condoms generally are better in this instance. You can find them at your local health department or specialty supply store or even online. For more information about the vaccine in general you can visit the Gardasil website at: www.gardasil.com  

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice