Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Itchiness in vagina

Question
Bumps
Bumps  
Hello,
I would really appreciate some advice. For two days I have been feeling a lot if itchiness at the opening of my vagina. I am a sexually active woman but I have not had intercourse for over a week . I am very nervous that it is an std. I have never had anything like this before, and I never get yeast infections. It is quite red and now I am noticing bumps. No pain or bleeding, just very itchy. I have included a photo.

I plan to see my doctor but it will take time to get in. Can you give me an opinion while I am waiting? Please!

Thank you

Answer
Hi Sue,

The "white" appearance of your vaginal entrance is consistent with a yeast infection or even a bacterial infection and that could be creating the internal pruritus (itching). The bumps are just papilla and are naturally there and are experienced by all sexually active women as the act of intercourse shears the skin inside the vagina during sex creating the rigidity you see. This is why I recommend using condoms with a water based lubricant to cut down on friction abrasions and inflammation, which I see profuse amount of inside your vaginal opening. I would suggest a consult with your OBGYN and if you haven't had a pap performed in the past 3 years, then I would suggest that its time! Women should have one performed every three years to assess for cervical cancer risk and to test for HPV. Plus, if you've been engaging in unprotected intercourse, you can have an STI panel performed at most providers. The panel tests for the 7 most common STI's and HPV is one of them, along with a lot of bacterial STI's as well.

Best wishes,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice