Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Little bumps

Hi I'm 16 years old and can not identify the little bumps on my labia minora. I am a virgin and  have had these bumps as long as I can remember.  I'm embarrassed to go to a doctor and just want a general idea of what it could be and if I should be concerned. A picture is attached.

Hi Rachel,

If you're to embarrassed to go to the doctor then you'll never know if you what you have is more "serious." While those are just papilla and are a natural part of your vaginal anatomy, you have an obligation to look after yourself and notice any changes in growth, texture, or spread. While you're 16, I would discuss these things with your mother as a way to get more comfortable, but these are all things you should discuss with your OBGYN and get in the habit of doing as once you hit the age of 21, you'll want to consider getting a pap smear performed every 3 years to check for cervical cancer. I understand your discomfort in "displaying" everything out in front of a total stranger and I feel a twinge of strangeness every time I have to get a testicular exam/physical with a doctor every few years or so. Its the thought of being so "exposed" to someone that scares us, but I would rather know answers and hear that "you're fine!" rather than "uh oh." Wouldn't you? Everything looks great though Rachel and if you have any pressing questions I have no problem with answering them, but I'm also here to persuade you to go to the doctor if its something that really concerns you ok? ^.^

Best wishes my dear,

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.