Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Does this look like genital warts, or any other type of STD?

Question
pic 2
pic 2  
pic 1
pic 1  
QUESTION: My sexual history has involved 6 males, all casual sex. It has been 2 months since i first became sexually active. Today, i noticed when i wiped after using the bathroom, there was a bit of blood on the toilet paper. There are these skin tag like things on my labia minora. What do you think this could be? Thank you!

ANSWER: Hi Natalie,

Skin tags along the labia can normally be associated with just papilla and are not a sign of any disease or abnormality. However, skin tags in women can often be confused for genital warts or HPV, which is why you should get them checked every year (if you notice changes, otherwise a pap can be done every three) by your OBGYN to make sure they haven't grown or spread, which would indicate viral behavior and not dermatological. If these concern you and you have never had them checked before then I would ask your doctor for a pap to test for HPV.

Best wishes,

John

Please note the changes in parenthesis! :-)

QUESTION: I am wondering if i had always had these, because i am just now noticing them. Could they be a result of rough sex, or sex that was a bit dry with not too much lubricant?

Answer
They would be caused by sex period. The act of sex shears the surface layer of the vaginal wall and creates the texture you see. It looks like sandpaper, but don't take my analogy to heart as I don't want to scare you into thinking that's a bad thing. Lubrication is a great thing to prevent further inflammation and dryness, but the changes will always remain.

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice