Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Need some advice


Ok, so I had unprotected sex with a woman Iíve been courting for about a few weeks, & Iím concerned that I may have contracted something from her. I know having unprotected sex is such a foolish thing to do, but I canít turn back the hands of time now. Iíve been freaking out & I can hardly sleep at night. Not to mention that this was my first sexual encounter in my life. About the same day I had the encounter I noticed small, slightly noticeable, bumps on the shaft of my penis & couple days after that I was reading about symptoms of HPV & Herpes. So, I checked my genitals & anus. Whilst checking my anal region, I notice small bumps. Iím not familiar on how this area looks, as I donít look down there that often, so I didnít know if this is normal or not. I was hoping that it had something to do with hair follicles, as opposed to an std or something. Also, before the encounter, I shaved considerably & Iím not too sure if this may play a role. I feel, very minor, itchy sensations occasionally, but Iíve felt this before when I was a virgin. No burning sensations when I pee (thank god) so I donít know if Iím playing down something big, or if Iím blowing something out of proportion. Please help. Also, would it help if I sent pictures? Are there any tell-tale signs that indicate that I have an std? Should I wait a certain amount of time before contacting my gp, so I can ensure an accurate reading?

Hi Mark,

If you shave then you will feel bumps in the form of irritated hair follicles each and every time since shaving your pubic area is so uncommon. Symptoms of STI's are not immediately noticeable in most cases, although it does take about 3-4 weeks for antibodies to appear in your body to most STI's. So if you're that worried you can get the standard STI panel done at your local health department or primary care provider. It tests for the 7 most common STI's which include HPV and herpes. If you have any follow-up questions let me know.



Sexually Transmitted Diseases

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Brice


Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.


3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Awards and Honors
Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

Past/Present Clients
*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.

©2017 All rights reserved.