Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Need some advice

Question
Ok, so I had unprotected sex with a woman Iíve been courting for about a few weeks, & Iím concerned that I may have contracted something from her. I know having unprotected sex is such a foolish thing to do, but I canít turn back the hands of time now. Iíve been freaking out & I can hardly sleep at night. Not to mention that this was my first sexual encounter in my life. About the same day I had the encounter I noticed small, slightly noticeable, bumps on the shaft of my penis & couple days after that I was reading about symptoms of HPV & Herpes. So, I checked my genitals & anus. Whilst checking my anal region, I notice small bumps. Iím not familiar on how this area looks, as I donít look down there that often, so I didnít know if this is normal or not. I was hoping that it had something to do with hair follicles, as opposed to an std or something. Also, before the encounter, I shaved considerably & Iím not too sure if this may play a role. I feel, very minor, itchy sensations occasionally, but Iíve felt this before when I was a virgin. No burning sensations when I pee (thank god) so I donít know if Iím playing down something big, or if Iím blowing something out of proportion. Please help. Also, would it help if I sent pictures? Are there any tell-tale signs that indicate that I have an std? Should I wait a certain amount of time before contacting my gp, so I can ensure an accurate reading?

Answer
Hi Mark,

If you shave then you will feel bumps in the form of irritated hair follicles each and every time since shaving your pubic area is so uncommon. Symptoms of STI's are not immediately noticeable in most cases, although it does take about 3-4 weeks for antibodies to appear in your body to most STI's. So if you're that worried you can get the standard STI panel done at your local health department or primary care provider. It tests for the 7 most common STI's which include HPV and herpes. If you have any follow-up questions let me know.

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice