Sexually Transmitted Diseases/white spot

Question
white bump
white bump  
bump
bump  
QUESTION: I have this white spot on the head of my penis for quite some time now. First doctors said it was dermatitis, then molluscum contagiosum. Can you identify what it is? There is no pain or itching.

ANSWER: Hi Derrick,

Dermatitis has itching associated with it, whereas molluscum does not. Molluscum, as you know, is a viral skin infection that can be spread through sexual contact. They can be spread to other people if you choose to engage in unprotected sexual intercourse as their is no cure for the disease. However, molluscum is no life-threatening, nor is it serious. Molluscum can go away on its own after 6-9 months and may remain dormant for a really long time; just like herpes. If you're interested in treatment options, a dermatologist can "freeze off" the polyps, but you will need to schedule an appointment for that.

Best wishes,

John

QUESTION: I have never been sexually active or had sexual contact. What could the bump be?

Answer
I said it CAN be spread through sexual contact, its not always. Whereas dermatitis is a short-term skin infection. Eczema, however, is chronic as well as molluscum. But eczema is caused by a defective immune system and unless you've been tested for that I cant give you any more information than that.

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice