Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Penis irritation

Question
irritation
irritation  
Hi John -

I am experiencing some irritation on my penis. I just returned from vacation where iI was doing a lot of outdoor activities where I did not shower much. Maybe it is a result of that, I really don't know. There is no itching, pain or discomfort. I do not have a history of STDs. I was tested within the last 6 months. I have a healthy commited sexual partner. Do I have herpes? Some other STD? I haven't had a lot of sex lately, either. No irritation coming from that. Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hi Ron,

I don't really notice what it is you're noticing other than dry skin, which is very common as the genitals receive no moisture other than through sweat. As you know, through this excess moisture and increased body heat, bacteria, fungi, and molds are attracted to this and create jock itch and other nasty things that feed off of those conditions. This is why we practice good hygiene and if you are having a case of the "itchies," then clotrimazole cream, which is found everywhere and even Gold Bond works wonders at helping to clear that up. If you've been practicing unsafe intercourse and fear you are at risk for an STI, then you can do an STI panel at your primary care physicians office or with a local health department, but that's up to you. STI panels are reasonably priced and very effective.

Best wishes,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice