Sexually Transmitted Diseases/White spots?

White spots
White spots  
QUESTION: I have had some irritation on and off for the last few months. It seems to be more irritating when I have my period. It's not really an itching or burning feeling, maybe close to burning but not intense. It just feels more like irritated skin. I feel like I am irritating it more from looking to see if I can find anything. I don't have an unusual discharge. It has been clumpy white a few times but not cottage cheese looking. Anyway, after some looking around, the skin in some places looked white. These weren't bumps. I have no idea what is going on!! Hard to see in the picture but the white part is to the right.

There's not much here to indicate much of a problem to me, but the history of a "questionable" discharge is enough to make me suggest to you to consider consulting with your OBGYN for follow-up. When was the last time you had a pap smear? Women should have one performed every 3 years to check for cervical cancer risk and HPV among other things, so if this concerns you then consider making an appointment.

QUESTION: The problem I am wondering about is what could be causing the irritation. It is all around and even more outside of my vagina as well, with an increase in irritation during my period. I was also wondering what could be causing the white patches. I had a pap a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything but I'm not sure how long lab results take.

The white patches could indicate a fungal or bacterial infection, but its so small that my only basis of comparison is seeing patches that have been much larger than yours. This is why I would behoove you to consult with your specialist and I would wait for those results. The irritation increases with your period could indicate a hormonal imbalance, but since I'm not a physician, that's a guess.

Best wishes,

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.